With Springtime comes cleaning dust and dirt! It’s about cleaning off from the weeks of being shut in. Ever wonder where to clean up your computer? Follow this guide and you’ll be well on your way, prepared for summer!
Your PC is the same way. When you clean it up and do the upgrades, performance and speed will follow! But before you just think this means deleting old files, keep reading.
Here are 6 ways that you can cleanup this Spring:
- Make sure your virus scan is running and up-to-date. As I’ve said before, it’s not as important which scanner you use, but that it’s kept up-to-date and being used. Run a “full scan” and then open the settings and make sure it’s scheduled to run on its own. Also, go to the settings of your computer, make sure your Firewall is ON too. Sidenote, however: Avast is rated in the top for FREE virus scanners. (No, I don’t get paid to promote them.) The downside to a free service is that it may not run a malware scanner automatically. Which brings us to point 2.
- Run a FREE Malware scanner, such as Malwarebytes. Malware is not considered a virus, but it can act as if it is. These files picked up by the internet and emails can just bog your computer down. Some paid virus scanners will also have a malware scanner with it (the perk of a paid program).
- In your web browsers, delete all unknown and unused Add-Ons and Accelerators. In Chrome (and others), you’ll find these under settings. Add-ons provide different functions for your web browsing experience. But they slow you down. So if you don’t use them (or recognize them), delete them. If you don’t recognize them, they may be particularly burdensome since they are working on something you may not be aware of (spying, for example).
- Check for programs you may have accidentally downloaded and delete them. Type “Remove Programs” in the search bar and clean “Add or Remove Programs.” Sort the programs by install date to see which were installed last. If you see a program you don’t recognize, make sure it isn’t a Windows program (I sometimes Google the program name to see). Games that get downloaded for free are notorious for slowing down your work. Shoot me an email and I can also let you know if they are needed.
- Clean out the dust! Dust can make your system run hotter than necessary. Laptops are harder to clean due to space constraints, but a desktop has some simple screws to remove and usually captures the most dust anyways. You can blow compressed air (or vacuum out) all the dust bunnies. This will keep things running cooler and faster!
As always, if you need more help with your cleanup, please give My Computer Solutionz a call and we’ll help, There’s no charge for a simple call or emailing your questions. We still give free quotes and recommendations. We’re reasonable people and here to help. Happy spring clean-up!